Friday, October 25, 2013

Featured Author T.K. Leigh

Hey all you book lovers.  I've had the great opportunity and privledge to introduce our featured Author T.K. Leigh.  A Beautiful Mess is  the first of three in the series and is a page turner that you will not be able to put down.  I loved this book and can not wait to read the next two.  ~~Cathy


A Beautiful Mess (Beautiful Mess, # 1)Synopsis:
What happens when you lose everyone that promised they would always be there for you? How can you protect the few pieces of your shattered heart that remain?

Olivia Adler is a woman with a troubled past. After losing her parents at the young age of six and being raised by an uncle who she lost years later, she refuses to get attached to anyone, including friends. For the past decade, she has been able to remain unattached to any man, too worried about losing someone to get too close. Until Alexander Burnham walks into her life one night and changes everything. But he has issues of his own. And he’s keeping a secret that could turn Olivia's world upside-down. Will Olivia let Alexander in enough for him to get close and protect her from a force threatening her very existence, or will she push him away, scared of letting Alexander in, in order to protect her heart?

My Review:
I have nothing but great things to say about this book.  Your heart breaks for Olivia and Alexander throughout the entire book.  I'm going to need anxiety medication,  I was on pins and needles waiting for him to tell her the truth to make everything right so that they can start their lives.  Alexander just wants his Olibia back and Olivia doesn't want to lose anyone else dear in her life.  I absolutely adored this book. ~~Cathy

The Interview:


1. Do you think there is an everlasting love at an early age?
I think there can be. Of course when we’re kids, we wouldn’t call it love. But I do think it’s possible to form a close connection to someone when you’re young. And that’s what I love so much about the story of Olivia and Alexander. It’s premised on this beautifully innocent concept of young love. We all love romances where there’s a connection, and a connection going back decades makes the story between these two characters even more dramatic, and in the end, even more heart-breaking.

2. When writing the book did you have conflicts with Alexander’s character on when to tell Olivia the truth?
Boy, did I ever. And to be honest, when I first sat down to write, I didn’t really have a time frame in mind regarding when or if he would tell her. Throughout “A Beautiful Mess,” we constantly see Alexander struggling between two very opposite sides of her character. There’s the ex-Navy SEAL turned Private Security Guru side that wants to find out everything about this mystery woman that appeared in his life one night. But then we see him become worried with all the coincidences between this woman and the little girl he knew all those years ago. And when he finds out who she really is, we see him struggle between telling her the truth and keeping her safe. Alexander is constantly battling these inner demons as well as his relationship with his father, and we really see that in regards to the infamous letter. We see him struggling with the decision to open that letter. We learn a little bit more about the relationship between him and his father in the second book “A Tragic Wreck” and why opening that letter has become so difficult for Alexander.

3. What is your biggest pet peeve?
People who chew gum really loud. It irritates me like no tomorrow.

4. What is your favorite quote?
“The loneliest moment in someone’s life is when they are watching their whole world fall apart, and all they can do is stare blankly.” - The Great Gatsby

5. Tell us something that you want everyone to know about you?
Hmmm…  That’s a tough one, but I’d have to say everyone should know that I have the best and most supportive husband ever. When I told him I had written three books, he immediately read all three of them, and it normally takes him months to finish one book. But he read all three in about 4 days. And he loved them. So it’s fantastic having such an amazing support system for me at home.

6. Where does the inspiration for your characters come from?
It’s hard to say. Some of it is from real life. Others are just characters I made up in my head. The characters drive the story here. The plot didn’t. Yes, I did have an idea of where I wanted the story to end up, kind of, but it was Olivia and Alexander and their struggles that really morphed what I thought would be a stand-alone book into a three-book series.

7. Most embarrassing story?
I don’t know if I really have any embarrassing stories. I grew up participating in theater, so it takes a lot to embarrass me. LOL.

8. Do you typically listen to music while writing? 
Yes! Yes! Yes! I’m constantly listening to music, trying to feel new emotions and feelings through song. It’s what’s driven my story from day one.

9. Book or Movie?
Book. It’s always better.

10. Favorite place to write
Anywhere, really. I try to change up my location so I’m not looking at the same thing every day. I have a little writing nook in my master bedroom that my husband has decorated with spoofs on quotes from my Beautiful Mess series, so that’s always good for a laugh. But I’m constantly changing location, from my living room, to my bedroom, to our office. It’s constantly changing.

11. Where are you from?
I’m originally from a small town in Connecticut…  Southington. I grew up there. Then I went away to college in the greater Boston area before moving to Florida to go work at Walt Disney World. I eventually found my way back to Connecticut where I finally finished my Bachelors Degree and went on to Law School. When I graduated with my law degree, I decided to give Southern California a try, and I’ve been here ever since!

12. Have you always wanted to be a writer?
No. If you told me a year ago that I’d be a published author, I’d laugh. I never in a million years saw myself doing this. In fact, it wasn’t until July that I decided to send the manuscript of “A Beautiful Mess” to a group of beta readers who pretty much devoured it over night. Before then, I still was just writing for fun. It was something for me to do while my husband was on the road for work. And my beta readers loved the story, so I sent them “A Tragic Wreck” and they loved that one too. And the same thing with “Gorgeous Chaos.” So it was these four women who gave me the idea to publish.  They definitely gave me the push I needed to put my work out there.

13. What are you currently working on?
I do have a work in progress right now that will be a bit of a spin off of this series. The main character is someone everyone will get to know a bit in “A Tragic Wreck.” I’m not too sure where the story’s going to go just yet, but I’ve got some pretty good ideas.

14. Do you think this book would make a great movie?
Absolutely! Who doesn’t love a bit of romance, hot sex, intrigue, mystery and suspense? Particularly the mind-blowing conclusion! I can’t wait to publish the next two books!!!


About This Author:
T. K. Leigh, otherwise known as Tracy Leigh Kellam, is a producer / attorney by trade. Originally from New England, she now resides in sunny Southern California with her husband, dog and three cats, all of which she has rescued (including the husband). When she’s not planted in front of her computer, writing away, she can be found running and training for her next marathon (of which she has run over fifteen fulls and far too many halfs to recall). Unlike Olivia, the main character from her debut novel, "A Beautiful Mess," she has yet to qualify for the Boston Marathon.


Check her out on Goodreads
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7172518

1 comment:

  1. Awesome interview. T. K. Leigh has fast become my third favorite author. I love the way she writes and tells a story. I cannot wait for the next two books. Great work.

    ReplyDelete